The meeting of the High-Level Political Forum on sustainable development in 2019, convened under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council, will be held from Tuesday, 9 July, to Thursday, 18 July 2019; including the three-day ministerial meeting of the forum from Tuesday, 16 July, to Thursday, 18 July 2019.
The theme this year is “Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality” and the meeting will review the following set of goals in depth:
- Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all;
- Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all;
- Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries;
- Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts;
- Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels;
- Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
In 2019, 47 countries (7 for the second time) have volunteered to present their national voluntary reviews to the HLPF. For more details, please click here.
HLPF Report 2019
The Soroptimist International (SI) High Level Political Forum (HLPF) Report 2019, showcases the work of our organisation paying particular attention to our work in those countries that will be submitting Voluntary National Reviews (VNRs) this year.
The report looks at SI sustainable development programmes that address the humanitarian-development nexus, with a focus on Sustainable Development Goal 4 – Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all which sits at the very heart of the SI mission – and showcases how SI responds to the educational needs of some of the most marginalised women and girls in societies. The report presents SI’s contribution to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals through the empowerment of local communities to create their own transformative change.