Adding a Soroptimist frame to your profile picture
A blog by SI PR Liaison Wanda Peters
“Welcome to a series of articles about Facebook and how it can be used to maximise the Soroptimist message. There are over 11,000 followers on the Soroptimist International (SI) Facebook page and many more active on Facebook and or followers or members of the numerous Soroptimist Facebook pages and groups. Whenever blog posts, news articles or other articles are published on the Soroptimist International (SI) website, these are also shared via Facebook, which is an important channel through which Soroptimists can stay up to date with what’s going on within our organisation. The Global Voice SI newsletter and Twitter are other important channels used intensively by SI to reach out to the global membership and the world.
Facebook is also a very powerful tool to reach out externally, to help Soroptimists to become better known and to pass on the word about how much still needs to be done in the world, to reach the Soroptimist goals, and the Sustainable Development Goals that relate to our Vision, Mission and Principles. SI Facebook members, together, have hundreds of thousands of non-Soroptimist Facebook friends. Making them aware of our mission and our work is a crucial element of our work itself!
In a series of articles I would like to encourage you to use Facebook more actively to promote the work of Soroptimist International. This doesn’t mean you have to spend more time on Facebook, but rather that you maximise the tools available.
So without further delay, let’s begin Part 1 of this 4 part series: using Soroptimist Facebook frames.
As you can see in the lead picture, SI President Mariet Verhoef-Cohen has added the new Soroptimist President’s Appeal Facebook frame to her profile picture. And she is not the only Soroptimist to have done so!
Adding a Soroptimist frame to your profile picture on Facebook means that you share with all your friends that you are a Soroptimist. Every post you make, like or share will also show to anyone who sees those posts that you are a Soroptimist and help them to understand the wonderful work that you do. Friends might ask you what your frame stands for and this is an opportunity to share the Soroptimist vision with them.
It takes very little time to add a frame and help promote the Women, Water & Leadership (WWL) Appeal and it can have huge impact. The President’s Appeal depends on Soroptimist support, and Soroptimists can only support the appeal if they have heard about it! WWL is making great progress creating sustainable projects to ensure security and resilience for women & girls. This SI President’s Appeal has already raised more than £160,000 towards its goal of £350,000. However, we need your support and help in promoting it widely, so we can reach so we can reach our goal. So, it would be really great if many Soroptimist add a Soroptimist frame to their profile picture after reading this post!
How to add a frame to your profile picture on a pc:
- Click on the Profile menu in the top bar of your Facebook page. Your page will be shown.
- When you hover your mouse over your profile picture it will show “Update”. Click on Update. You will see the Update Profile Picture popup screen.
- Click on Add Frame to open the Add a frame to your Profile picture popup screen.
- In the field “Search for themes, owner name and more” type a search term, such as “Soroptimist”. You will see a number of frames that match the search term. The name of the latest SI Facebook frame is “Soroptimist International ‘Women, Water & Leadership’”.
- Click on a frame to see what it would look like over your profile picture. You can zoom your picture in/out a little to make the frame and picture fit together better.
- If you have chosen a frame you would like to use only temporarily, e.g. for the 16 days of activism against gender-based violence, you can determine when to switch back to your previous profile picture by choosing from the drop-down list:
- When you are happy with the result, click Use as Profile Picture. Done!
How to add a frame to your profile picture on a smartphone (this might differ on non-Android smartphones):
- Go to your own Facebook page, for example by clicking on your own profile picture.
- Tap on your profile picture.
- Tap Add Frame.
- In the “Search frames” field type a search term, such as “Soroptimist”. You will see a number of frames that match the search term. The name of the latest SI Facebook frame is “Soroptimist International ‘Women, Water & Leadership’”.
- Tap on a frame to see what it would look like over your profile picture.
- If you want to adjust the photo behind the frame tap the Edit button and zoom in or out with two fingers and click DONE.
- If you have chosen a frame you would like to use only temporarily, e.g. for the 16 days of activism against gender-based violence, you can determine when to switch back to your previous profile picture by tapping MAKE TEMPORARY.
- Tap SAVE top right to finalise.”
If you have any questions, please contact SI PR Liaison Wanda Peters on Facebook