Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and the UN World Food Programme (WFP)
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations leads international efforts to defeat hunger, helping developing countries and countries in transition modernize and improve agriculture, forestry and fisheries practices and ensure good nutrition for all. The FAO focuses special attention on developing rural areas, home to 70 percent of the world's poor and hungry people.
Click here to visit the website for the Ad Hoc Group of International NGOs: Representatives to FAO in Rome. SI is a member.
The World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide, working to ensure that communities affected by emergencies receive food. The WFP works closely with FAO.
Soroptimist International recognises that women and girls in rural areas are especially vulnerable of the developing world, making up the majority of the worlds’ poor. Women make up more than a third of the global agricultural workforce, reaching more than 60% in some areas, yet do not reap the same benefits as their male counterparts. SI works to ensure that global policy debate on food security and agriculture takes a gendered approach and addresses the needs of women and girls. SI is in official relations with the FAO. SI also takes an active role in disaster and post-conflict relief.If you are interested in reading any reports from before 2009, please email SIHQ: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- News Story: FAO Council 144th Session - Rural Investment for Food Security, June 2012
- News Story: SI Attends Roundtable on Gender, Food Security and Nutrition, October 2011
- News Story: SI Hosts Side Event at the FAO Conference on Rural Women, July 2011
- SI UN Representative Cinzi Palmi reports on the 141st Session of the FAO, April 2011
- International Womens Day at the FAO March 2011
- 140th Session of the FAO Council Dec 2010
- SI UN Rep Cinzia Palmi reports on the 36th Committee on Food Security, 2010
- SI Statement delivered at the World Food Day Civil Society Forum: "Actions against Hunger"
- SI Kenya Union President Asha Abdulrahman and SI UN Rep Else Larsen report on the Civil Society Forum &World Food Summit on Food Security and the FAO Conference, 2009
- SI UN Rep Else Larson reports on the High Level Expert (HLE) Forum and 35th Session of the Committee on World Food Security, 2009
- SI UN Rep Else Larson reports on 21st Session of the Committee on Agriculture (COAG), 2009
- Co-signed NGO statement from the COAG INGO Group, 2009
Welcome to the on line world of Soroptimist International! This section will connect you to the global community of SI. For Soroptimists, log in to the club members section for more resources and use on line reporting to tell us about your projects!